Friday, June 26, 2009

Getting Back into my Routine

Thursday was a great rowing morning in the river. The humidity was WAY down. The only bad part of the row was I forgot my do-rag. By the time we were ¾ done the sweat was running into my eyes making it nearly impossible to follow the stroke seat.

I had an 11:30 appointment for an eye exam. I’m losing the dental and eye benefits of my health care plan as of July 1st. I hate seeing doctors, but figured I better take advantage of this soon to be lost benefit. My eyes have been good (I only need reading glasses) and it had been some four years since my last exam.

The exam was at a “chain” vision place. Gone are the days having the insurance covering Ophthalmologists and the like for routine exams. I had registered all my information at their on-line site to make things easier signing in. In trying to pull up the paperwork it was nowhere to be found. Their site seemed real shaky so I’m not surprised it did not save.

The optician who did the initial tests was very capable. She was my age so we had a lot in common. She was originally from Ohio so we were able to compare living between the north and Deep South. We shared a lot of common frustrations.

The doctor showed up and did the final exam. Everything was normal. My reading prescription was bumped up a bit, but my normal vision is still 20/20.

When the Dr. left, the optician explained that I could easily buy over the counter reading glasses. My insurance covers certain generic frames and basic plastic lenses to $80.00 I think. If I could put something together without it costing a fortune, I’d just as soon do that. I was warned about the lady in sales who tries to make you get every add-on possible. That lady was tied up with a customer. The receptionist and other optician were giggling behind the front desk, ignoring the customers entering the store. I’m so thankful my optician stuck with me and took care of all the paperwork.

This must be the norm in retailing now. Debbie complains constantly of how in the salon where she works the front desk is so unprofessionally run.

Back in the showroom surrounded by designer frames, I went to the meager shelf of cheap insurance covered frames. I found the perfect frames on my own. The optician who was helping me had to give her attention to this poor man whose glasses were not right. There were three other store workers huddled behind the front desk carrying on, totally ignoring the customers. This is a reason why I HATE shopping anymore…

Enough on this rant…….

I spent the rest of the day finishing up the digging and planting. I had to run the sprinkler before attempting to break up the topsoil. The ground was so dry; it was “harder than my heart”. When I was planting I was digging into mud, but it was easier than trying to break up the baked dirt. The only nursery plants I got were some knockout roses, lantana, rosemary, coleus, porchulacas, and basil. The rest I got from dividing up existing plants in the yard. This heat is real touchy for planting… hopefully everything will take.

The worst of the patio expansion started months ago is pretty well behind me now. From here on it will just be piddly clean up and organizing busy work.

Early morning in the backyard…

Today it was a humid hazy morning that Debbie and I did our morning walk in. For once we remembered to take our cameras. It never fails when we walk on the river there will be the most wonderful sunrise and we are camera-less! (I doubt if camera-less is a real word!!) The river was like glass and the sun was an orange blur through the haze. I wished I was rowing in the river instead of just observing from the bank. We have enough rowers to take out a sweep late this afternoon…..YAY!!!

Looking upstream into the sunrise from the Tuscaloosa side of the river.

Looking downstream. The dock and boathouse are located just before the bridge on the left bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.