Friday, July 24, 2009

What a Morning...

The temperature here in Tuscaloosa this morning on my Google home page was 64° at 5:00 a.m. This is unheard of for late July. For the past week record low temperatures have been set. This boy is not complaining. Last night the windows were all open with the fans going. I actually slept under the wool blanket last night.

Thursday morning was so beautiful on the river. The days are getting shorter. The sun is now just breaking in the east when we are on the water. Yesterday it was overcast, with the mist just rising from the river. All was quiet and serene. This particular morning it hit me like a ton of bricks. The Indians of America lived this every day of their lives. No wonder they had such a reverence and respect for nature and “Mother Earth”. This new appreciation and inspiration is just another offshoot how things have changed in my life this past year. I can’t believe July 22, 2008 was my first time to ever try rowing. Who would have ever thought?

I started this entry at 5:00 a.m. It is now after 2:00 and I must get ready to return to the boathouse. Things have been busy!!

Debbie showed up around 5:35 for our walk of the neighborhood. We wanted to check out the progress of the brick wall being built not far from my house. We walked down the alleyway that runs beside Michelle’s house next door to me. The wall progress was very impressive. They are using a beautiful yellow brick that matches the original house brick. I’m going to have to check and see where they got it. Opposite of this wall the homeowners got together and purchased an empty tract of land to prevent “student slums” from being built. In the middle of this grassy lot were two sleeping bags complete with occupants! Are they drunk/passed out students, or homeless people camping out? This is not happening in my neighborhood. Debbie and I did a circle back to my house and I alerted the police. God, I hate to sound like the neighborhood crab, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I had mail to go out, so we walked over to the Post Office. Across the street was a small house up or sale. We explored and peeked into the windows. It could be such a neat little place. Most likely it will end up being something commercial. A broker who rents the place next door was sitting on his front steps. We had a nice chat with him.

We then continued to check out the new construction of the Federal Building Complex. One thing I can say about Richard Shelby, he sure funneled federal “pork money” to this city when Bush was in office. This new center will be very impressive.

Another of my neighbors who restored one of the few grand Queen Anne residences in town was working on his yard. Debbie was in awe of his caladiums. They were beautiful. He told Debbie he gets them every year from Fancy Plants Farm, in Florida.

I just love this interaction with my neighbors. Walking back to my house we could see from my street the “sleeping bag” people were gone. I left the coffee pot on the stove over the small burner. Debbie and I had our coffee on the front porch under the ceiling fan. There is a lady who walks her dog past my house usually at the same time when Debbie and I are having our coffee. She told us she loves to walk by my house because she can smell the coffee all the way to the sidewalk!

I got to the boathouse around 7:30 to work on painting up oars. Our rowing club is just getting off the ground acquiring equipment. We got out first sets of used oars to refurbish. Alison took these to be reworked last week. They turned out beautifully. We got the blades painted black this morning and will apply the stripe hopefully this afternoon. The oar blade design, now property of our club, is here at the web page on the left. http://www.blackwarriorrowingclub.com/ .

Melissa, Dana, Alison sanding down the oar blades:

Dana, Alison among the freshly painted oars....

This will have to suffice for today’s entry. There will be a lot to write about tomorrow…..

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.