Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stumpy on the Mend / Frustration




Stumpy’s leg has been a constant worry to me for the past week. He seemed to be out of pain, but would not use that sore leg of his. He kept it curled up not putting any pressure on it. He would let me massage it, showing his pleasure with volumous purring and head butts.

Last night before turning in to bed I witnessed him taking tentative steps on that leg. If I needed a sign the worst was over that was it. It brought flashbacks of the movie Heidi when Shirley Temple as Heidi persuaded the invalid Klara to take her first steps from the wheelchair. What feeling of relief! It’s a good thing I was not holding a “snow globe” like the one in the move that was dropped! LOL!

We had a frustrating row this morning. It kind of reminded me of some restoration projects; whereby the last 10% of the job requires 90% of your work and concentration to be right. As rowers we pretty much have the basics down, now to just get everyone to work and row together. God, it so much easier said than done.

About half way through our practice we were hit by a large wake that ricocheted off a block wall that supports a viewing area into the river. That water flooded over the starboard gunnel instantly soaking the shoes we had on board. We had a soggy trip carrying the boat back from the dock. It was amazing how much water poured out onto us when we lifted it off the river.

Raising money for the club continues to be a challenge with regattas coming up. The new $500.00 cox box that had to be returned for repair a few weeks ago was delivered to me Wednesday. I was not able to fully charge the battery on it. Trying to get it to work on the sweep after our row was unsuccessful. I’ll try again with a fully charged battery tomorrow. More aggravation.

Today I was lucky and the rain held off. It has been so damp and humid, but my whites that were hung out on the line this morning are almost totally dry at 5:00 p.m. Hopefully it will all be dry enough to fold and put away before the sun goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.