Friday, January 29, 2010

Meeting, Fire Hydrant, Up With People/Youtubes




Cleaned up and out of the condo by 8:00 a.m. Billy is not a coffee drinker so there was no aroma of perking morning coffee in the condo. The convention hotel is down Rt 41. Two miles past the hotel is where I need to pick up the fire hydrant I found on Craigslist. The man selling it is a retired New York City fireman. This hydrant was originally in service in Yonkers, not far from Yankee Stadium. It got knocked over in an accident and became the property of “Charlie”. He moved it to Long Island, then to Ft Myers, Florida: Now it will end up in Alabama!

I can tell he is attached to the thing. I promised him pictures of the final installation/restoration. He was telling Billy and I stories of his service. He had a New York City accent you could cut with a knife. I loved it!!

It was a quick trip to the hotel. We got registered for the meeting. The business agenda was just about to start. I needed some coffee before doing anything. There was a breakfast set up off the lobby. I felt kind of guilty, but I cooked me a waffle and had some other treats. It was like old home week seeing old friends in the lobby heading for the business presentations.

After getting filled up I topped off my coffee and snuck into the meeting room just as a museum presentation was getting underway. It dragged on forever.

Then Steven gave his talk on the restoration and installation of the Wurlitzer theatre organ into his house. Saying “What an undertaking” is putting it mildly. I know more collectors who try to do such a job on their own. It never works. To have it done right you have to bite the bullet, shell out the money and have it done PROPERLY!

The afternoon open house is in Naples. It was really not a long distance to drive; it was the bumper to bumper traffic and stoplights to contend with. I could not put up with that kind of aggravation on a daily basis.

On the way Billy and I stopped at a Panera Bread for a quick lunch. A crock of French Onion soup and half a tuna fish sandwich was just what I needed.

My friends Bill and Norm were hosting the open house. They have a beautiful home and collection. I first met them many years ago through my good friend Gary when they lived in Columbus, OH.

It is so much fun to connect and “dish” with old friends. I’ve been a member of the Musical Box Society since 1971 and have made many lasting friendships over the years.

Billy and I headed back to the condo to get ready for the banquet that was held at The Edison Country Club. I changed into my Utiliklt. Once we left the condo there was no changing back!

Billy and I entered the club and were directed to the back patio. That is where the cash bar was set up for us. The inside “club bar” had all kinds of appetizers that would not have survived long with our group! I could feel the eyes on me as I walked to the table where Cotton was seated at. I had a present for him and Julie… one of my new bricks! That really broke everyone up. Then I had to explain my Utilikilt. They all loved it!

We had a good table for the banquet. Carla and Stephanie were with me and Billy. Before the food was served Carol (one of the “matrons” of the society) joined us for a minute. She had to ask Carla something. Then she asked me if anything was worn under my kilt. It was the perfect set-up. I replied, “There is nothing worn under my Utilikilt, it is all in perfect operating condition!!!” Poor Carol, her face turned so red and she practically ran away!

Our evening entertainment was at Steven’s house. He put together a demonstration of comparing the same roll of music demonstrated on upon different make pianos. I think he has some seven pianos to play with.

The “main room” of Steven’s house.

Then he gave a concert on the Wurlitzer. I was so impressed. I’m always in awe of talented people like Steven.

Bill in the background, Steven and Me.

After the concert we were able to squeeze into the organ chamber to see the workings of the instrument. All is so fresh and clean. What an amazing instrument.

Dale giving the tour of the organ chamber.

After a bunch of the guests left, Steven played some more on the organ. This was totally unstructured. Bill, a very talented pianist played a duet with Steven on the organ. This was one of those magic moments where everything just "jelled". Then from out of nowhere Steven started playing the theme from “Up With People”. OMG!!! Up With People was a movement which I can only describe as Walt Disney reinventing the Hitler Youth. Squeaky clean kids singing about the beauty and truth of “white bread 1950’s America.” There was a local chapter in Lockport I joined for the summer of 1968 because Linda and Mary Jo were involved.

Hearing that theme again I had to do the motions just like our group did at the Up With People concert we attended at Chautauqua that summer.

My friends were howling! Steven repeated the song with me next to the console to be videoed. This masterpiece has made its way to the “Youtubes”. I’m socially destroyed now!!

Youtubes

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.