Saturday, February 20, 2010

Best Erg Time Ever!




Wednesday night was particularly frustrating for me. I try to keep up with technology, but sometimes I really get stumped. Enjoying a book in the front room, I was snuggled in the Morris Chair. Daggy was on my lap; the gas logs were ablaze which made the room toasty warm on a bitter cold night. Then I heard beeping noises from the bedroom.

I knew it was not the smoke detector; it had to be the computer tower in the bedroom. Sure enough, I heard that beeping in the bedroom from the vicinity of the computer. A Google check confirmed that a series of beeps from the computer tower was a signal of impending doom. The first recommended thing to do was to clean the dust from the tower and make sure the fan and heat sinks were clean.

The computer was shut down and all the cables were disconnected. The case was opened up and I carefully vacuumed the accumulated dust. Then I heard that damn beeping again! There is no power to this unit; there is NO way this can be happening. Then I looked to the dresser and saw my Tracfone….. it had been left on and was emitting the beeping to inform the battery was low! At least now I have a dust free computer tower! That was the first time that had ever happened to me which shows how much use I get out of a cell phone.

We did not row Thursday morning due to the frigid temperatures. I met up with Amy, Laurie and Kathleen at the AquaticCenter to erg on the Concept 2 machines. Four of the novice boys were there also. It was a nice steady relaxed work out.

Even with the biter cold we have been experiencing, the gradual arrival of spring continues. Walking to the “Y” Thursday I saw flocks of robins on the lawns searching for worms and grubs in the dead grass.

At the “Y” I was feeling pretty good and decided to try and beat my 2,000 meter time. My last best rating was for 7:57:7. I started with a racing start with a stroke rating in the mid 40 strokes a minute and my split rate in the mid 1:40 range.

This pace I can only keep up for about a minute or so. That puts my body into an anaerobic mode where by I'm not getting enough oxygen from the lungs and turns to stored energy (fat) for the nutrition it needs. At this point I would normally let up and drop my split ratings to the 2:05 range to regain some composure. For whatever reason I was in a masochistic mood and decided to really push myself. I kept my split rate in the 1:56 range for the rest of my workout. I cleared the 2,000 meter mark at 7:45:2.

That shaved 12 seconds from my best time. Pushing myself to that extreme took me the closest I’ve even been to vomiting. I’ve heard where at “inside regattas” buckets are next to the machines for when that happens.

This guy is AWESOME!

Rowing on the youtubes

Friday it warmed up. Finally I was able to get some outside work done. It appears most of my ferns and spider plants survived the winter in the garage. They look really ratty, but they are alive. The rubber plants I’ve kept going for over 10 years now did not make it. The extended sub freezing temperatures were too much for the old plants.

Friday afternoon gave us the warmest temperatures of the year. It was a perfect afternoon to row. Hunter coached, and Matt coxed. Two novice rowers from the men’s collegiate team rounded out our masters sweep.

It was heaven to be rowing on the river again. We did drills upstream to the steel mill, spun the boat and rowed eights pretty much the entire way back. We docked at 5:45 and the sun was still out. The days are truly getting longer. Warm weather can’t be too far behind!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.