Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bedroom Eyes Circa 1900




I just turned off the radio. The news was so depressing, but the weather report was the straw that broke this “camel’s” back. The cold temperatures and gray skies are in the forecast for the foreseeable future. I can’t remember the last time there was an entire morning of unbroken sunshine. I know for a fact I have yet to enjoy working in the yard just wearing my Utilikilt and a tee shirt this year. I’m so sick of layered clothes, sweatpants and sweatshirts.

I need to get my trip to North Carolina documented. I got on the road last Thursday the 11th. We did not row as the river was nearly in flood stage from all the rain. The current was fierce.

I headed east on I-20 towards Atlanta about 5:20 a.m. Since I was out of rush hour I took a chance and did not take the 285 by-pass around Atlanta. Traffic was not that bad, but driving conditions were dreadful. It poured rain making the conditions perfect for hydroplaning. The speeding trucks blasted my Dakota with spray making visibility nearly zero. I hate driving under these circumstances. The further north I got on I-85 the better the conditions got. Finally I drove out of the heavy rain. For the rest of the trip I would only have scattered rain showers to drive through.

I poked at a couple antique malls off the interstate. I knew there would not be anything of real interest. It was just an excuse to stop and stretch my legs.

I arrived at Matt and Jen’s about 5:00. It was so good to get out to get out of the truck and relax on their front porch. Made contact with Billy. We made plans to meet at Mickey and Mooches for dinner. This is a wonderful “high end” steak house. The food is top shelf.

We were held up in traffic so were a bit late in arriving. I wore my new black Utilikilt which made quite an impression. Poor Leroy can just shake his head at my fashion sense! We always request the waiter "Twan" that Leroy can't stand! He was not working that night! Damn!!

Normally I get the steak here. The special of the day was Barbequed ribs which are supposed to be out of this world. I broke with my tradition and got the ribs. I was not disappointed.

Friday was set-up at the show. I met Billy at Leroy’s. We had to ready Leroy’s Jeep Cherokee to load up a music box that was stored in Statesville. We unloaded crap out of that vehicle we loaded in on the last trip in 2009! We drove to Statesville for lunch and the pick-up. There is a wonderful “dive” called The Alamo. This is a low cinderblock building with a very bare-bones interior. The grease smell permeates the structure. The good part is there is no smoking inside the place now. It is beyond my compression North Carolina passed a no smoking ordinance.

The best bet at The Alamo is the burgers. Bill and I each got the cheeseburger and split a side of onion rings. The burger was huge and greasy: topped with cheese, onions, cole slaw and mustard. It was so messy and GOOD!!!!!

From here we drove to downtown Statesville to pack up a rare music box that Leroy was going to try and sell. The split back seat was jammed in place so it was a real pain to pack.

From here we drove back to the show to unload and set up. It is a much better location over last years show. That show had a tiny gate and an even smaller display set up. Who knows how this show will go over…..

I’m not in the market to seriously buy anything so I took my time getting to the show Saturday morning. Fortified with a Starbucks and a scone I braved the 20 mile drive to the show.

Leroy was not in sight at the 9;00 opening leaving Billy and me to demonstrate his overpriced music box. Years ago when the market was hot, on a good day he may have gotten 9k for this piece. The case style is called "Rookwood" which had painted scenes and flowers on the cabinet. Today in a nearly non existent market he wants 11K. I know we will be loading it back up! LOL!

The show was death, as I had expected. I doubt I’ll do this again if they hold it next year. I was reminding Charlie, the dealer across the aisle from us I did my first Union, IL phonograph show 30 years ago in 1980! My God, I remember that show like it was yesterday. That was the trip I called in sick to the plant from the road. It was from the payphone at the rest stop just into Ohio from the Pennsylvania state line. I was working afternoons. I had a miserable job then grinding fiberglass cases. I left for the show Thursday night at midnight after my shift ended and I had taken a shower at the plant. I dialed the number and the call went right through to the plant security. Soon as they picked up, the operator cut in with, “One moment please. Please deposit $3.25 for the first three minutes.” After depositing the money to the accompanying dings and dongs I was able to say I would not be in for my shift Friday because I was sick! I could hear the guards chuckling in the background! I copied down my “call in number” as proof I contacted the plant in regards to being “sick” and continued on to the show.

It is memories like this that life is made from: The small inconsequential things that at the time they happen you hardly pay attention to. ……

Charlie had a slew of extra pictures he was using for a book he is putting together. There was one picture in the pile I zeroed in on. I had to have it. Charlie gave it to me… What a great guy. It was my project to get it framed up Monday. Now I’ll always associate Charlie and the dreadful show to the history of this picture.

Charlie seated, Billy standing on left. Me seated on the right.

It is nearly impossible for us to realize how the primitive phonographs 100+ years ago were the cutting edge technology. At first glace you would think the boys in this picture were enamored with the music they are listening to. Close observation reveals there is no record on the mandrel of the Columbia AT Graphophone. I think they are enamored with something besides music….. those sure look like bedroom eyes to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.