Friday, May 7, 2010

Working With the Brick Saw Again




I actually started to clean for the first time in a while. I can always judge by the amount of Stumpy’s hair on the white tile in the bathroom when I need to clean. I’m ashamed to say there where balls of his fur floating around!

The rain also reminded me I needed to clean out the gutter on the front of the house. That was my project Wednesday. I had to laugh as I got some looks from passers by on the street. Folks here are not used to seeing Utilikilts being worn on the roof!!

Thursday my boat got cancelled for the morning row. I had to bring a cox box for the row to the boat house. I showed up in my work clothes (ripped up shirt and Utilikilt) but brought along a pair of spandex shorts in case I got to row. I had the crew laughing telling them about my friend Jerome who stopped by my house.

Jerome visits when he is in the neighborhood. This last visit he was on his special bicycle with the dog carrier on the back. He loves to ride with his “wiener dog” MoJo on the back. He showed up as I was taking a break. Jerome laughed saying how I looked like an Alabama redneck from the waist up, but from the waist down it was a different story! I told him he was just a little bigger in the waist from me and he might like to try on my other Utiliklt. His face lit up!

I got him in it and he looked pretty good. He is going to bring his girlfriend over to let her see!! I guess I’m doing my part to change the world over one Utilikilt at a time!

The crew was short a person so I was able to row after all. It was a great session with Jason and Katie coaching. Starting the day on the river pretty much always predicts a good day.

Finally got my butt in gear and started working again on the patio rebuild. Installing the outside perimeter brick is a real fussy job. If I knew what I was doing the angles needed to be cut could be easily calculated. But, figuring out radiuses and the like are beyond me: Being hands on I just figure out each cut and go that route. Using the brick saw is a religious experience for me, so this is not a real problem.

The Blue Angels are in town to put on an air show this weekend. They have been flying over the city for the past few days making a lot of noise. Things will be insane over at the airfield in Northport tomorrow and Sunday. This boy will not be there!

Time to get changed into work clothes and get to Blowes for some more mortar mix and get back to my patio……

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.