Sunday, December 19, 2010

Home Made Banana Bread




The temperatures are still cold but the sky is clear allowing the brilliant sun to shine through. That does a lot to raise my spirits. Stumpy was out all morning and is now asleep on the bed after finishing up his wet food treats. Daggy is buried under the covers. What a life those cats have!

One of my favourite haunts throughout the 1980’s was the complex of flea markets in Clarence, NY. The original first building was a long, low claustrophobic affair with dealer booths along the walls and center. “Aunt Mike” used to have a booth here. She was such a trip living and enjoying life to the fullest. She used to do “curb shopping” the night before garbage pick-up. She would make a good buck selling that stuff.

Aunt Mike, (standing) Aunt Martha seated at Renninger's Flea Market, Adamstown, PA fall of 1975.

There was a lady who had a booth just down from Aunt Mike who sold baked goods. She also sold these hats made out of cut up beer cans. The cans were cut up into panels, holes punched through and the panels were then crocheted together. Yes, people actually bought those horrible things!

This woman wore one of these hats and would announce in a loud monotone throughout the day: “Homemade banana bread”. I tried it once. That was enough!

Debbie gave me a bag of overripe bananas last night knowing that I would use them up. I was thinking back to those flea market days this morning as I made up a batch of banana bread. I found the best recipe on the You-tubes. (I love to use the plural as it drives some people crazy!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0e8ojL0vcc&feature=player_embedded

Using mom’s old cake mixer and angel food cake pan had me remembering back to happy days growing up on Ontario St. My little Alabama kitchen was a happy place this morning….

Mom always cooled her angel food cakes on a beer bottle……

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.