Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stop the Whining




Monday I was viewing a You-tubes on Rochester, NY. On the side bar were other related videos. I’m still in amazement in how the “tubes” (internets) has changed my life. I watched one of the linked videos which was of a Rochester, NY news show reporting how Church’s Fried Chicken ran out of chicken during a sale. The story reporter interviewed disappointed customers who were turned away from the “chickenless” restaurants. I’m not going to link to the video because I found it very troubling. The way these people carried on you would have thought it was the end of the world…..

As I reflect upon my past I’m constantly amazed how a simple remark made in passing could have such a profound effect upon how I’ve lived my life. I was touring Europe the summer of 1970 with the American Youth Hostels. There was an event I wanted to look my best for. Carrying clothes in bicycle saddlebags does not result in nice looking garments. I was lamenting how my collared shirt was full of wrinkles. One of the German guys in the dorm said to me, “You Americans. People are dying in the world and you are worried about a wrinkled shirt!”

A chance remark from a stranger opened my eyes to something I had never even contemplated. In the grand scheme of things what difference would it make if my shirt were wrinkled or not? I was unconsciously whining; a trait I truly dislike.

I grew more intellectually in that summer of 1970 than I could ever imagine. That German teen ager forced me to look at the world with me not being the center of the universe.

That is one reason I’m so nauseated by the current political climate. Before “the tubes” news stories reported on TV and Radio were heard/viewed once. It was pretty much impossible to go back to retrieve a story to fact check or rehear/view it again. Not anymore.

I have great respect for Jon Stewart. As a comedian he is like the court jester used to be to the king. The court jester could counsel the king through comedy as counselors could not. It is really sad The Daily Show does more research and fact checking then “legitimate” news outlets

This clip on the memorial service in Tucson, AZ shows Americans facing adversary with strength and resolve. But, it also shows Americans whining at their best. The moderators crying over the seating arrangements is a new low in my book. I would not want to be remembered for complaining about where people sat for such an occasion…..

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-13-2011/veiled-criticism

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.