Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Link to Pro Football

My Link to Pro Football
Monday, February 02, 2009

The Superbowl is history. I did not watch or even think about it till hearing the outcome on the news this morning. Sports of that nature don’t really mean anything to me. But, the hype about the game got me to thinking of a link I had to professional football. Strange as it may seem Brick had a link to a professional football player years ago.

Tom Day played for the Buffalo Bills back in the 1960’s. This is his football card from 1965.

Tom ended up as a supervisor at my old plant. After a nasty run-in with a supervisor early in my “auto-career” I made a rule of not having anything to do personally with my supervisors. There were a FEW notable exceptions, but I pretty much just did my work and let it be.

Tom was an all around great guy with an outgoing personality. He broke down those barriers I erected and became my friend. I’ve documented in the past how we had quite a bit of “horseplay” that went on in my old department. One morning Mel, “Mangler” and I were in Tom’s office annoying him. They were all taking about football. I added, “Now, is that the game with the round ball, or the one that looks like an egg???” Next thing I knew Tom had me in the air and thrown over his desk, much to the delight of Mel and Tom. That was when Tom became one of “the Boys”.

Tom had a real affection for me and my working partner Mel. I think it was because we did not fit the “factory worker mold” but we always did our work. We learned early on that as long as you stayed an arms length away, Tom usually could not catch you because of his bad knees.

One of my funniest memories involving Tom was when Mel and I were returning back to the department from the cafeteria. Tom was talking with some other supervisors. He called me over. Once I got to him, I was thrown into a headlock and he stared to pound on my chest. Tom was a BIG man. Once he got hold of you there was no escape. These other supervisors’ faces went white. Supervisors were not permitted to touch an employee, let alone pound the s—t out of them! There were cases where assault charges were filed against salaried personnel who had physical contact with employees.

“Tom, Tom, let him go. You can’t do that!” they said. “Oh yes I can!” Tom answered. “It’s Brick, he enjoys it!!” He released me and I told him, “Thanks Tom, I needed that!” Mel and I left a grinning Tom, and two bewildered supervisors looking at us as we returned to our clincher. I know it galled those other supervisors that Tom had the kind of relationship with his workers they could never have. If it had been either of those other salaried guys who laid a hand on me, I’d have a grievance filed fast as anything. (They were buttheads!!)

My mother loved hearing these stories. She used to bake brownies for me to take in for Tom. Needless to say Tom loved getting this form of bribery. I told him mom made that stuff for him to not pick on me anymore! Tom would always reply that the only reason I was alive was because of my momma!!

There was a soft, human side to Tom that a lot of people did not see. When my mom was dying he took me aside. No horseplay now, he simply said, “Brick, I know how close you are to your momma. You are going through a real bad time. If you ever need to talk to anybody here is my number, call me anytime.” He handed me his phone number. That is a true friend: one who will be there to help you “bury the body”.

Sadly, Tom died in 2000. As I understand the circumstances: he was having surgery and his heart stopped.

If there is an afterlife, I’m looking forward to being back with Tom and the “boys” who are gone from this earth. I have all kinds of new things to say to Tom to get him annoyed and give him an excuse to pound on me!! Sometimes being the comic relief can be painful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.