Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Storm Missed Us




It was so damp and chilly yesterday I had the gas logs going in the fireplace. I know I sound like a wimp, but I moved south to get out of the cold. I know how Mimi in La Bohème must have felt with her poor hands being so cold at the bitter end! I warmed my chilled fingers over the gas flames till they got toasty warm.

Talk about fluctuating temperatures; it was in the 70’s today! A real bad storm was brewing all day, but fortunately it bypassed us here in Tuscaloosa. We had some thunder, lightning and rain, but that was about it. The hail and high winds never materialized here.

The internet never ceases to amaze me. Friday morning I ordered a latch set from California to install on the new screen door. I checked first with Blowe’s and then the web pages of Homo Despot. No luck. I did not want to waste time and gas searching out the small hardware stores on what would most likely turn out to be a wild goose chase. This type of lockset is just odd-ball enough to where nobody really knows what you are talking about when you try to explain what it is. I found exactly what I needed at handlesets.com.

I placed the order early Friday morning figuring it would most likely take a week for it to be delivered. Late Friday afternoon I received notification my order had been shipped UPS along with a tracking number. I love tracking packages as they travel to me! I never had a chance, it totally slipped my mind to log onto the UPS site.

Monday was Presidents Day so there was no mail delivery. Returning home from the Y at 12:30 p.m. I checked my E-mail before making a peanut butter sandwich for my lunch. There it was: my UPS delivery notification. The package was dropped off at 12:05!!! Sure enough, there it was right at the side door where the UPS guy always leaves my packages when I’m not home to sign for them. Talk about fast service!

Tuesday afternoon was spent doing the installation of the latch set into the door. Naturally I did not have the required 5/8’s drill bit to bore the holes. There is an old time hardware store not to far from my house. It will be worth paying a bit more to not have to face the traffic and aggravation of getting to one of the box stores. I was surprised in the bit was only $3.00.

This afternoon I installed the striker plate onto the door frame. This was a bit more involved as the door frame is not too square. I had to add a shim piece and do some fancy mitering and wood filling. It all turned out well. It is heaven to have a back screen door I can actually lock and yet let the cats have access to their back yard through their own special door.

Once the weather stabilizes a bit I’ll do the last of the painting to the hinges. Those old strap hinges were originally on the heavy wooden doors of my garage back in Lockport. I salvaged them when I redid the front of that old structure back in the early 1990’s. I knew I’d get some use out of them eventually! The brass hinge in the center of the door is a small old brass spring hinge Billy gave me on my last trip to Florida. It is not strong enough to propel the door shut on its own, but with just a slight push it will accomplish the job. To the left is my outside shower and you can see the window Stump claws at to let me know when he wants in!

Expecting high winds and rain I took some pictures of the Camellias before they would be destroyed. Fortunately they are still in pretty good shape, and I have the pictures to share here. For the past year I have been working Epsom Salts into the ground every 3 months or so. I really think that helped to produce the bumper crop of blooms this year.

Daggy just scooted up from her hiding place in the cellar and it will soon be time to dish up the “cat treats” and settle into bed. Hopefully if we row in the morning the temperatures will be mild.

These Camellias are located on the north side of my house.

While these are at the front of my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.