Friday, August 7, 2009

Five Mornings on the River

This past week has been pretty hectic. I’ve been on the river every morning with the “Learn to Rows”. Today was their graduation, so to speak. It appears that 8 of the 9 participants want to stay on with the club. This is awesome news!! Hopefully there will be enough guys to flesh out a “Men’s Master” racing team. A number of the new guys have a competitive edge to them.

Wednesday there was not enough people to take out two eights. With only one sweep going out, we had to take one of coach’s launches back, and return the oars from the oar tree to the boat house. Will, Trish, Laurie and I were just standing there with Mitchell who was going to cox the cancelled row. We were so disappointed in not getting out on the river. We were the only ones around; I got the brainstorm… “Who wants to take out a four if I can get the OK?” Everyone’s face lit up: I tore off down the ramp to the dock to plead our case with the coaches. Only experienced rowers and coxes are allowed uncoached rows. It is a safety issue. I felt like a little kid asking mom for permission… “Alison, can we take out a four with Mitchell as the cox/coach?” We are experienced rowers so Alison gave us the OK!

I felt a twinge of guilt as we pushed off the dock thinking of the other rowers who left early. Oh well, you have to grab at opportunity which is what we did. Rowing a four can be tricky; it takes a bit more skill to keep the boat set. We had a great row doing drills to concentrate on improving techniques that plague us. I was rowing starboard which is not my strong side as far as technique goes. I used that opportunity to work out things I was doing wrong.

With the exception of “intramural soccer” back in 1966 I never participated in organized team sports. Being one of scrawniest kids in my class did not put me in demand for inclusion for any teams.

I find it so ironic that a sport that is totally dependent upon teamwork has nearly taken over my life! I saw the greatest tee shirt the other day which proclaimed: Rowing, if it was easy they would have called it baseball. Crewing out you develop a closeness and bonding with your teammates. You are rowing as a unit, not as an individual. Your crew is only as strong as its weakest link.

Now I’m working out at the Y five days a week to make sure I’m not that weak link.

Ted sent out this picture taken from one of the coaches launches this morning. It displays another reason why I’m out on the river every opportunity I can get. It’s the best seat in the house to witness a summer sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.