Saturday, August 1, 2009

Five Years Ago: August 1, 2004




It is so hard for me to believe that August 2, 2004 was my first day of work at the Corvette Assembly Plant. All those early Bowling Green Entries were lost at my on-line Journal when the site was hacked into. Fortunately, I always do my entries first in Word, save them to my hard drive, and then copy and paste to my Journal. I was reading through those files tonight which inspired this entry.

It was Sunday August 1st,2004. I had the truck packed with my mattress, box spring, computer, boxes of utensils, and finally my old Morris Chair tied to the top of mess. It looked like a load the Beverly Hillbillies would have packed. My destination was first to Wayne and Julie’s place in Portland, Tennessee. Julie transferred to the Corvette plant in the late winter. I’ll store the big stuff at their place for a month until my condo opens. The first month in my relocation will be spent at the Hometown Suites.

Being gone from my house meant I was pretty well forced into installing an alarm system. I left my home at about noontime, setting the alarm. Daggy and Stump knew something was up, but had no idea they would be locked up in the house till Saturday morning.

I was still worried sick about my Daggy. She had been unwell through June losing nearly half her body weight. After some frantic visits to the vet and lots of tests, the conclusion was; she just stopped eating her cat food. I switched to Science Diet and she began to eat again. I was so afraid she would go into relapse with the stress of being locked up and alone.

I was numb from the uncertainty of my future and the guilt of deserting Daggy and Stump doing the 270 mile drive to Wayne and Julies. At least I have friends to help, and I will know some of the people at the plant.

Julie’s mom was visiting for the summer. She is so nice, we had a great visit. Julie had fixed a wonderful meal. Once I got the truck unloaded I felt a bit better. I called the Hometown Suites from her place to let them know I would be arriving a bit late.

I was so stressed out I could not even taste Julie's wonderful dinner. I hate being like this. I left before the sun went down so I could get back to I-65 before dark. It was only about 25 miles from where I got on the interstate to the Hometown Suites at exit 22.

I checked in and got all squared away with the manager. I was able to scrounge up a dolly and moved the boxes from my truck to the room. My stomach was tied up in knots from the stress and tension. I HATE feeling like this, but I had no choice in the matter.

It was just another adventure in my life…….

What a change five years later. Instead of being stressed out I am now luxuriating in my little home. The doors and windows are open wide. A thunderstorm just passed through so the air is cool: the cicadas singing. Daggy just strolled out the side door to join Stumpy in rolling around on the dry sections of the driveway under the carport.

This everyday life in the safety zone of my home is my bliss. Let me post this and the I’ll pour out a glass of my box wine and join the cats….

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.