Monday, October 5, 2009

October Brick of the Month/Fire Hydrant Pick Up




The time has really gotten away from me this fall. I totally missed my monthly “Brick of the Month” feature for September. I’m a bit late for October, but here October’s brick.

This is a new hand made brick crafted by Rich Nagy I acquired this at a brick swap auction of the International Brick Collectors Association last year in Wellston, Ohio. It sits on top of the computer armoire in my bedroom. The motto: BRICK SMARTER THEN YOU THINK pretty much says it all!!

Last Thursday, October 1st I took off for a road trip to Kalamazoo, Michigan to pick up my latest treasure: a rare fire hydrant manufactured by the Michigan Brass and Iron Works in 1902.

I left direct from rowing practice and drove to Anderson, Indiana only stopping at one horrible flea market. I had covered some 575 miles when I checked into the Motel Six.

Friday morning I was on the road very early. There was a steady, heavy rain pouring down. The kind of rain I HATE to drive in. The inky black wet road swallowed up the white fog and lane lines. I lucked out and was able to follow a truck that was going at a reasonable speed. I’d much rather take my time and have somebody else “break the road” for me.

I was just south of I-80 in when I had to pull over for a breakfast. There were no Waffle Houses, so I had to settle for a Cracker Barrel. I was so wound up; I just needed a hot coffee to start out. There were a few early birds in the dining room. A wood fire was burning in the large fireplace. I was seated right by that. That heat felt so good!

I jumped as my cell phone went off! That damn thing drives me nuts! It was Bob, the seller of the hydrant. We worked out a rendezvous spot to transfer the hydrant from his truck to mine: a Perkins at exit 20 on I-94. Knowing all is lined up I relaxed and enjoyed a heavy breakfast.

The rain had let up some as I got back to my truck. It stayed misty, gray and overcast my entire trip to Kalamazoo. I found the Perkins with no trouble. I called Bob on my cell. I’m getting pretty good at using that thing: I even programmed his number into the memory under “fire plug!”

Bob works nearby: he showed up in no time. Fortunately I had straps in my truck to make moving the hydrant easier. It weighs a LOT! Bob related how he happened on the hydrant. It was in the front yard of his house which is located many miles from any water main. He was so sick of mowing around it. His wife suggested he list it on E-bay to see if it was worth anything. Bob had inquires from all over the country on this. I beat out a guy from Philadelphia who wanted it badly. At least I’m not the only crazy person scarfing up fire hydrants out there!

With that weight in the back of the truck, I felt a lot safer on the wet roads as I headed back home. The further south I went the more the weather improved. It was a straight through drive to Bowling Green where I checked into my old stand-by Motel Six. There must have been a lot going on in the area as the weekend rate was $55.00. I was too beat to pound the pavement for a cheaper place. The location is so good. I was able to walk to the Outback for a greasy bacon cheeseburger and happy hour price beer.

Saturday I was on the road at 5:00 a.m. This drive to Tuscaloosa I’ve done too many times from this location. Pilot Gas stations usually sell the cheapest gas. They have a special on the charge receipts from the pump, 16 oz coffee and any fresh baked good for $1.00. I took advantage of this special filling the truck and myself at Franklin, KY and Decatur, AL.

All in all the traffic was not bad and I walked through the front door of my house at 9:45.

To a “normal person” driving nearly 1,600 miles round trip to acquire a fire hydrant is totally insane. “Normal” is something I’ve never claimed to be. I like to think I’m living my life as I want, no matter how crazy it looks to outsiders. I spent 30 years at GM on the factory floor planning, saving, and daydreaming how I would live my life when freed from the “golden handcuffs” that chained me to my job.

I’m freed from the golden handcuffs and my life since retirement has been very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.