Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Rainy, Wet and Gray Days




I was beat after my last road trip and did very little on Saturday except to unload the hydrant off the back of the truck. Doing that job alone was an aggravation of makeshift ramps etc. It is all awaiting installation whenever the monsoon season ends.

Sunday was one of those all day rains. The rain would vary in intensity, but it was steady all day. There were eight hardy souls that showed up to row in that miserable weather. We were one short of taking out the eight. We were just getting ready to disperse when Bill showed up from Birmingham. He mentioned to Robin that he would like to join us for a row. We never expected him to show up with the weather being so rotten.

We had enough to go out. I was rowing port in the four seat, and Bill from BHAM was in the five starboard seat just in front of me. My teeth were chattering from the rain and cold as the bow pair rowed across the river. Alison coxed without a cox-box. I was the go between to the bow section of the sweep as to when to drop out or join in.

Once we got to rowing my core body temperature warmed up and I began to feel better. We rowed as far as the overlook where boats can dock on the riverwalk, and we turned around. The wind had picked up and the rain was falling sideways!

We rowed sixes back to the dock. Bill did pretty well rowing with us for the first time, but sorry to say he got banged up with my oar when he transitioned in wrong or did not hold the set far enough up on his seat. I’m able to get a real good stretch rowing port. I always try to get my outside hand on the oar to reach over the gunnel. This section of the row was with the current which was pretty strong from all the rain. We flew down the river with that headwind added in.

We spun the sweep around to dock so we were rowing into that headwind and against the current. My God that was a first…. The wind hitting the oar blades and that force of the current really slowed us down.

Even though we were soaked to the skin it was still a rush. Taking the sweep out of the river, “up and overhead” made sure we were thoroughly drenched when all the water poured out of the sweep and over us.

Once home I striped off the wet clothes and luxuriated in a hot shower. After supper I lit the gas lights and relaxed in the Morris Chair. Daggy and Stump took turns lounging in my lap. I had the Jack Benny Show playing through my stereo speakers and enjoyed a glass of box wine. It was just like old times

Monday was another dreary gray day. It was damp and chilly for the entire day. I finally broke down and turned on the furnace. It only had to be on for a bit to clear out the dampness.

Things around here always seem to go on the blink at once. I had three different clocks I had to tear into. Anything mechanical is bound to mess up. When you add age to that equation and it is pretty much a given. It is hard to think my grandfather clock is approaching the 200 year mark.

Today broke as another gray misty day: I showed up for rowing practice at 5:15 a.m. in my sweats and thermal underwear. It had warmed up a lot from Monday so those extra clothes were really overkill. It was still foggy and mist was hanging over the river. Both oar trees were filled as the novice men’s teams are on the water now. The river is at full capacity for rowers now. I was barking out orders to get off the dock as fast as possible.

This morning I was cox of the women’s racing boat and was a wreck trying to keep with the other two sweeps. Alison was going crazy trying to coach three sweeps at once. Our big race is Saturday which has me thoroughly wigged out. I have to resign myself to the fact that all we want to do is to make the race in one piece and be happy with that.

I really wish that all the rowers would take turns at coxing. You learn so how the boat handles and realize how to adjust your rowing technique to affect the course of the boat. From what I’ve learned, if the rowers can keep the sweep on course it cuts through the water easier and faster than depending on riding the rudder.

It was supposed to clear up this afternoon and I took a chance and hung a load of laundry on the line early this morning. Those clothes were just barely damp when the sky opened up at 1:30 and they were thoroughly drenched again.

What else can go wrong? I was putting the mission shelf clock back together after repairing the slipped click spring when I heard an E-mail bling in. This mail was from Priceline wanting feedback from my trip to Chattanooga. WTF??? I’m going there this weekend. Pulling up my paperwork I realized the room I booked for the race was for Friday October the 3rd!!!

I can’t blame anybody for that one but myself!!! Fortunately I was able to get another room for Friday night at the same cheap price.

On two I want my bow pair in and my stern pair out…. one……and two…bow pair in, stern pair out!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.