Monday, April 19, 2010

Home from the West Coast




Another trip to document! I returned home Friday evening after nine days on the west coast. I thought things were supposed to slow down for me in retirement. That has not happened so far.

In my absence the grounds of the house flourished. It took pretty much all Sunday morning to just get the grass cut and edged in the back yard. It had gone to seed making it impossible for the dull blades of my ancient lawnmower to make a clean cut. I pretty much had to use the weed eater on the entire lawn before trimming it all up with the lawnmower.

A week of not rowing softened my hands up. We had a wonderful easy row Sunday afternoon. I rowed port, my favourite position. It has been quite a while since rowing that side of the sweep. It showed, as I developed a few ripe blisters. Ouch!!

We are racing in the Dogwood Regatta in Knoxville, TN next weekend. The club is racing a women’s four and a men’s four. The men’s four had a serious practice this morning. As usual I’m rowing starboard in the bow seat. My new blisters were really paining me. These races in the spring are only 1,000 meters which means they are over pretty fast, but you have to give it your all.

We rowed drills upstream to the steel mill and did more drill work on the first part back. Then we practiced racing starts and rowing with pressure. The last 500 meters was starting from a racing start and rowing all out. My legs died on me at about the half way point. It is one thing to push on the concept 2 machines: on the water there are so many other things to keep track of. One of my main problems is not breathing right. When you are pushing yourself in anaerobic mode your body is not getting enough oxygen from the lungs and it takes it from stored sources in the body. I was in serious anaerobic mode this morning! I’m not good at pacing myself and used up too much of my “energy stores” rowing hard on the drills…..I’m debating with myself if I should push my luck and do a workout at the “Y” later.

Hopefully in a day or so I’ll be able to get started on documenting the last trip. I need to work on the computer first and see if I can get my Kodak program downloaded so I can edit my pictures. The default picture program with Windows 7 does not have a lot of options as far as adjusting the brightness, etc……

My mind has been made up... I'm off to the "Y"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.