Monday, April 5, 2010

Trying to De clutter




Things have been so hectic these past few days. The big road trip approaches with frightening speed. Since Louis and I will be doing camping I’ll need heavier clothes and more of them. I’m flying SouthWest so I can check my duffle bag without incurring a charge. The one thing I’m scared of is my bag will not make the transfer in Phoenix which is only about ½ an hour. I have a delivery address it can be dropped off to and will carry my important stuff and a change of clothes in a carry on: so if that occurs it will not be a disaster.

I’m so wanting to simplify and “declutter” my life! When I retired in 2005 I accomplished a great deal by ridding myself of my old factory clothes. There are still too many clothes, especially the tee shirts department. My shirts go through a cycle. When they are new, I wear them for good. Gradually as they disintegrate, they get assigned to being worn on dirtier, nasty jobs. It had reached the point where I had a drawer of threadbare worn out tee shirts.

NPR’s Morning Edition had a segment on “Hoarders” today. I don’t live surrounded by stacks of stuff; I just have a bit too much. This one lady in the article confessed how she held onto clothes she could no longer wear because they reminded her of a happier time. The solution was to take a picture of the clothing. Talk about hitting home!

This afternoon I sorted through my chest of drawers. There were sweat pants that “crunched” when I tested the elastic: Tee shirts I could read a book through. It’s the tee shirts that are the hardest. There are shirts I’ve had for 25 years! That is nearly half my lifetime! That is insane!

I have a bag full of shirts to go to the thrift store. What they can’t sell gets sold as scrap. Believe me none of those shirts have any resale value as they stand. But the memories they hold are beyond value.

I only took a photo of one shirt that Ron gave to me from the Cornhill Festival of 1986 held in Rochester, NY. What a wealth of happiness the memories of that shirt holds for me. I’ll relive those times now through a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.