Thursday, April 9, 2009

April Regatta in Knoxville

I was driving west on 11th Street to pick up the Lurleen Wallace “high speed” to the bridge at 5:15 a.m. today. The full moon which dominated my site of vision had me totally mesmerized. The temperatures were in the mid forties, quite an improvement over Tuesday. I was to be coxing today and Jason was the coach.

We did some new drills that I had never called before. Things go in a pattern so it is making sense now! The river was still mucked up from the unsettled weather. Lots of debris was floating around: I had to keep an eagle eye out for logs, staying towards the middle of the river.

We were rotating sixes when Jason had me stop the boat and turn it to cross the river. Then he had me stop the boat again and he told everyone to just look up to the east.

Oh my God, what a sunrise. Of all the times to not have my camera; that orange red and blue sky will be burned in my memory for a long time. It is magic to witness the seasons and day progressions from the surface of the river. I’m singing the Cat Steven’s song, “Morning has Broken” in my mind as I type this out.

It was such a revenant moment. We were all silent soaking in the beauty. Then we had to return to the “reality of rowing". How’s that for alliteration??

I was so pissed with myself: I just missed the dock coming in. There is a very small window of opportunity to navigate the boat in right. Jason was able to get the launch in and pull us in by an oar. He is so patient with us!!

There was talk of us actually rowing in a regatta on the 26th of April. That is a reality now! We do not have a snowballs chance in Hell of winning anything. It would be for the experience of being in a race and giving the club exposure. Naturally that is the week of my music Box Society meeting in Jacksonville, FL. After giving the matter a lot of thought I came to the conclusion that I have been going to MBS meetings for 35 years now. This will be my FIRST chance to be in a race. The rowing won out! Soon as I post this I have to cancel out my motel room. I’ve already arranged with the meeting registration of my absence.

Now I have to gather up the courage to call Billy and Linda and tell them the change of plans. I was first going to stop at their place Thursday and we were to travel to the meeting together on Friday. I’ve known Bill since the early 1970’s. We have been “sister friends”* since the early 1980’s. It is very hard for him to understand this side of me that is totally out of his worldview.

It is hard for me to make sense out of my life at times. I’ve lost so many people close to me during the first days of the Aid’s crisis, I realized early on that you only have one shot at life. This is not a dress rehearsal. I’ll never be any younger than I am right now at this minute. If there is something I want to do, and I’m physically and financially capable to carry it off…count me in!

*Sister friend*: A sister friend is that special friend who knows EVERYTHING about you but does not judge. That is the friend who will help you “bury the body” without flinching.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.