Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dinner at Gary's

Once again our rowing practice got rained out this afternoon. Thunderstorms and tornado warnings put the kibosh on going out on the river. Right on cue the sky opened up at 3:30. We are officially out of our drought now so I’m ready to get back to some sunny warm weather!

Saturday turned out to be another gray gloomy day. It was “A " Day at the University. It’s a real big deal around here. The football team plays itself and the stadium is open free to the public. The traffic was insane in the city. The weather held, only spitting out a few raindrops.

Gary called with a dinner invite. The traffic should be cleared out by the time I need to leave. I’m always glad to not cook!

I got to Gary’s right around 6:00. Driving out the back way I avoided the worst of the congestion. Cornelius was there and Alec was on the way. After fixing a beer I had to pull up the Utilikilt website and show the boys my next acquisition: a Workman Utilikilt!

I have wanted to get one of these for years. Friends who own them swear how comfortable they are to wear. I’m so sick of doing work around the house in sweat pants, or uncomfortable shorts. There is a retailer in Dallas. I’ll be stopping by there for a fitting in early June when I head to the Brick Swap in Hastings, Oklahoma.

Gary cooked simple burgers with some kind of sauce and baked sweet potatoes. Everything was so good!!

We watched the HBO movie GreyGardens. What a phenomenal film. I had never seen the original documentary this was based on. That will be on my list of things to do.

We were discussing the two “Edies” of the film and I made the mistake of saying how crazy they both were.

Cornelius looked over at me and said, “What do you mean crazy? That movie was your life!”

Brick: I’m not crazy like that!

Cornelius: Girlfriend who..

Comes in here tonight and shows us the kilt he is going to get

Cooks on a 1927 stove

Uses gas lights

Lets his cats eat off his dinner plate

Mows his lawn with a push lawnmower from 1906

Drives all over the country to get bricks and fire hydrants…….

By the time Cornelius got this far I was laughing so hard I was crying! He had read my beads perfectly! It takes a true sister friend to say those things without malice: It was all true! I guess I really do look eccentric to those on the outside of my life.

All the more reason to get my Utilikilt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.