Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Aching Back

Oh this boy is sore. Tuesday I really overdid the Concept II Rowing Machine at the Y. Wednesday morning we had a crew together to go out rowing. We really pushed ourselves. Alison wants this crew to be in their first regatta April 26th. Damn, that is the weekend I’m committed to be in Jacksonville, FL for a music box collectors meeting. We don’t have a chance of winning anything, but the experience of being in a race would be so awesome!

In preparation for the upcoming race, this crew had the first taste of real constant rowing. After initial drill work we went into rowing in rotations. There were increasing stroke rates and pressures we had to meet. The speed of the boat increases by the pressure applied to the legs and the cycle of back and arms. I had been practicing on the rowing machine doing just this. It made things a bit easier, but also set my lower back up for pain! Oh, I was sore when we hoisted the boat out of the water and overhead.

When we were all squared away I was starving. Not far from the boathouse is City Café. I was bad and splurged on such an unhealthy breakfast! Chicken fried steak smothered in white gravy, eggs over easy, grits, biscuits, and coffee. That crunchy delicious breading with white gravy on the steak patty nearly brought me to orgasm! God, how I wish I could eat like that every day.

Finally in the afternoon I got to moving around the brick border of one of the flower beds in the back yard. Debbie told me how she saw ever blooming roses on sale at Blowe’s. Taking a break from yard work I went to check it out. The price on those roses was $19.95. The other plants seemed to be pretty steep. I noticed how normally the parking lot in front of the garden center used to be blocked off and filled with merchandise. Not so this year.

I know I’m supposed to be buying stuff to help the economy, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. Instead I’ll fill those empty spaces with the Lantana I can divide from the huge clumps that are just coming back to life. I KNOW that stuff will grow pretty much anywhere. The marigold seeds I put in the ground seem to be sprouting. I harvested LOTS of seeds last fall, so I don’t have to hold back trying again if they don’t grow. I’ll be gardening on the cheap this summer!

We were on the river this morning. We were short one person. Fortunately Kevin from the men’s team jumped into the vacancy. He is a good rower and was in the bow seat. My back lucked out and I was the cox this morning. Having so much more rowing experience under my belt from my last coxing attempt, I was not so intimidated.

Jason coached us and things went pretty well. The electronic “Cox Box” was not working properly. There was a lot of static when it was trying to work. I have a big mouth, so I turned it off and shouted out the calls.

The last ¼ or so of the row is the worst. The rowers were tired and often didn’t pay attention to keeping with the “stroke seat”. I felt badly afterward but I was barking out commands to prod them on! Just like in those old college movies from the 1940’s!!!

I was so pleased in that the boat docked just as it was supposed to!

The workout at the Y this morning was an easy one. I don’t need to knock myself out every day. As much as I hate to admit it, as I get older my recovery time gets longer.

Rain was in the forecast for today, but as I finish this up, things are clearing up. I’m going to chance it run a load of laundry and hang it on the line……


Just as I was posting this a handsome red Cardinal landed on the steps of the side entrance in the middle of the opening of the side door. He squawked a few times to reminding me to scatter some seeds on the brick patio for him! If its not the cats, its the birds yelling at me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.