Friday, November 6, 2009

Regatta and Brick Weekend Coming Up!




We were able to squeeze in a quick practice this morning. We took out the Tenancity, (Not sure of the spelling on this one!) which is the number two boat the club is rowing in the regatta. It is Starboard rigged which can cause confusion as we are so used to rowing the club eight which is rigged for port. Half way through the practice the sound system died. After the problems with the cox box I’m dreading what is wrong. The box in use is the problem one that was repaired. (testing the unit out in another sweep it turned out the wiring in the boat shorted out when the water started to get splashed in! It was a wet row!)

It was a sloppy practice, I was not happy as the sweep was never on a constant level. Not even for a few strokes. Balancing the boat depends on so many different factors. The hand levels of the oars, the timing of how the oars “catch” into the water, the timing of how the oars “release” from the water, the pressure of the rowers legs from right to left as the push back, the center of gravity sliding up on the seat, etc. For something that looks so graceful, easy, and beautiful from a distance, it sure is involved to tie it all together. I think that can be said of so many aspects of life… the things that on the surface to be so obtainable are the hardest to realize.

What makes things so frustrating is how we are never able to row together with the same crew. Life gets in the way so there are always substitutes sitting in for the practices. When you row with the same people you know what to expect from each rower. God, who would have thought a year ago I’d be carrying on like this??!!

I’m so looking forward to the “Head of the Hooch Regatta” this weekend. We will be competing against 20 other boats in our class! No doubt those we beat out in Huntsville will be out to kick our butts.

I plan to arrive early Saturday morning, as I have an appointment to get a mess of bricks! Talk about killing two birds with one stone! Then I want to experience the race. My coach Alison pointed out there will be great and poor rowers there; observe and learn. I also want to be on hand to help the collegiate boys when they cast off. Extra hands are always needed to move oars and whatever to and from the docks at race time. They are always on hand to hand to help us out, I want to be able to do the same.

I need to do a shopping later on. Not something I’m looking forward to. I plan to check around to see if I can find black doo-rags at Wal-mart for my crewmates. With our new black shirts that would be totally intimidating.

I washed out my Utilikilt and am debating if I’ll wear it or not. The mornings are so cool now, but with heavy wool hunting socks, the black long sleeved team shirts and my old beat up work boots, it is a pretty impressive look.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.