Monday, November 9, 2009

Saturday Road Trip/Bricks/Regatta




I had such strange dreams last night… I wonder if they were the result of the lactic acid in my muscles. When the alarm went off I was VERY sore getting out of bed!

Anyway, let me document my big weekend. I was on the road Saturday to Chattanooga at 5:00 a.m. I had a stop to pick up paver bricks on the way. My “Google” searches of Craigslist turned up an ad for “street pavers” in Chattanooga at $1.00 ea. I contacted the seller and he told me to just give a call when I get near. This always makes me wary. I’d rather have a destination I can make a map to. He said he had seven dump truck loads of paving bricks.

I called Tom the brick seller from the cheap Pilot gas station at exit 4 off I-59 in Georgia. This is the usual stop for me to get coffee and gas. I was in line to pay for my coffee behind a couple headed to the big Alabama-Louisiana game in Tuscaloosa. They each were checking out with quart bottles of beer at 8:30 a.m.!! I’ll bet they had a fun drive!

I got my directions from Tom to go to Kimball on I-24 and then exit for South Pittsburg. Then ½ mile from the fork look for “The Leak Shop”. I’m assuming this would be a radiator/auto repair shop. I drove the main street of South Pittsburg never locating the shop. I backtracked and tried the other fork with no luck. I just knew this was going to happen!

Getting out my trusty Trakfone I called again. Tom was gone, but I spoke with his wife. Now I had a general knowledge of the area and I knew where she was directing me. It turned out the business name was “Da Sleep Shop” which sells beddings!

Tom and his cousin Jasen arrived shortly after I did. Tom was thrilled in that he squeezed 300 bricks onto his cousin’s pick-up. I KNEW this would be impossible. Even I would not overload my truck this badly. Sure enough, the boys had plain old building bricks. Some of the bricks were embossed as being from DaltonGeorgia on the side. I told them I’d take those ones as I can use them for traders at swaps but not at the paver price. I felt sorry for the guys, they were so crestfallen to learn what they had were nowhere near the value they thought. I gave them $50.00 for about 100 bricks which was more than fair.

Building brick vs a street paver brick

I hightailed it to the motel in Chattanooga. Peter and I were sharing a room which was in my name. I wanted to make sure he would have access to it in my absence. I explained to the desk clerk I knew I was not able to check in… BUT I wanted to get Pater’s name on the reservation. She had her arm in a sling and had to type with one hand. She assured me all was taken care of as I left.

I located our boat trailer on the west side of the bridge abutments a little after 11:00 a.m. Nobody was around, so I headed to the launch & finish line. I was right by the Vespoli tent when Amy called me on the cell phone. She and Tim were on their way, we made arrangements to meet up.

We hooked up and went to the bridges to observe the Alabama crews. Amy told me how earlier she and Alison witnessed a sweep tasking on water and sinking. (I later learned from a referee this sweep had hit a buoy unobserved and stayed in the race. I’m pretty sure that is grounds for disqualification.)

We witnessed a “four” hitting the bridge abutment and an eight hitting one of the markers just before the finish line. What heartbreak to go the entire course and then screw up at the VERY end!

We cheered on the Alabama crews when they passed under the bridges. Not long after we hooked up with Laurie, Tina and crew by the vendor tents. I lost them when I had to make a purchase. An awesome tee shirt!! There is a running joke about being Bi-sweptual and rowing both sides of the boat. The definitions on the back especially the “seat slut” are me!! LOL!

I caught up with the gang and we all headed to the boats so we could start the rigging process. I had a general idea where they were, it was Rachel who came to our rescue and accurately directed us! On the way my cell phone rang. I always jump when that damn thing goes off. It was Peter; the motel will not let him into the room. Why did I know this would happen? I told Peter to tell whoever was at the desk he was on the reservation; it was taken care of by a one armed woman! Once he relayed this information all was fine.

We got the boats all rigged. The more we do that task, the easier it becomes. With all taken care of we went back to watch the races. I was starving. We had passed a vendor stand selling French fries and funnel cakes. I have not had a funnel cake in years. That used to be a staple of mine back in the early 1970’s at Renninger’s Flea market. I used to get one nearly every Sunday when I used to bicycle there from Lancaster.

It was fate; the stand ran out of batter and I got the last one! I was approached by more kids wanting to know where I got the funnel cake. It was my sad duty to report they were no longer available. As I filled up I gave away hunks of the greasy, sugared fried dough to the questioners. The days of me eating a whole portion of that stuff is long gone.

Arrangements were made to meet for supper at a little place near MLK Blvd and 13th Street. Before I headed off, I changed into my Utilikit and new tee shirt! Vague directions again set me astray. I was looking for the intersection of MLK and 13th. It was never relayed the restaurant was on Market St past MLK and before 13th!

Jason was the first to spot me entering. He just shook his head laughing as he always does when I wear the kilt! It was a first for most of the team to see me in the Utilikilt. It made quite an impression. After all that fried dough I was not horribly hungry. A small lasagna and salad were the perfect supper. I would have loved to have had a beer or two, but I don’t want to do ANYTHING to throw off the race Sunday.

I’m getting apprehensive and nervous as to what the outcome will be. Seeing the rowers today, I realized we are really out of our league. If we just finish with both teams in one piece I think that will be an accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.