Monday, September 6, 2010

Free Long Distance / Dealing With Wingnuts



Monday, September 06, 2010

The world is so connected today, it is hard to think back forty some years ago and realize things were not always so. The phone company was a monopoly pretty much everyone hated.

Way back when you did not own your telephone, you paid rent on it every month. The cheapest phones were the black wall mounted rotary dial phones. In the mid 1960’s when push button phones came out that was an upgrade with added costs. If there was more than one phone on the line you had to pay for another phone rental. There were stories circulating how the phone company would test the lines to find those who had illegal hook ups and fine them.

The only reason you called long distance was for an emergency like a death in the family. In our house the egg timer was turned over so as to not go over the initial three minute time. If it was just important information, you called after 7:00 p.m or on Sunday for a cheaper rate. I had a code all set to be able to get around the charges when doing my road trips. To announce a safe arrival across the miles I would make a person to person call to a designated person (Usually our hated Junior High Guidance Counselor) to my friends. That would signal my safe arrival home and of course that dreaded person was never there to take the call and incur a charge!

As I understand the history of the phone system, Bell Systems had total control to what could be hooked up to their phone lines. Naturally they forbid anything but their own equipment to be used. It was when answering machines started to become commonplace Bell had to relent and allow others equipment to be attached to their lines. All Hell broke loose after that.

I use my landline for my internet connection, local calls, and the alarm system. For long distance calls I use a Sam’s Club card punching in a code for each call. I don’t use long distance enough to warrant getting a specialized plan with free weekend minutes and other add-ons.

Scott got me hooked up to Google Voice back in January. I put an account together but never used it much. It was the wrong numbers at 2:00 a.m. that stopped me from handing out that Google number out.

Last week I got an invite from Google to download a file which would allow me to use my internet connection as a phone line. I could call anyplace in the country for FREE! I downloaded the file and forgot all about it.

I was cleaning up my computer desk and found the microphone that came with the desktop. Debbie and I did a quick walk of the neighborhoods this morning. While she was on the front porch I called her cell phone from my computer. It worked!

I made free long distance calls to friends and family this morning. What a feeling to be able to talk and not worry about paying for the minutes.

I had to run to Blowes to get supplies for a project I’ll be working on next week. I needed eight wing nuts to hold the U clamps I made from threaded rod. (At a great savings form buying ready made clamps in that size) This is for a club project so I’m doing all I can to keep costs down. I originally bought a box of 25 wing nuts for $6.50. Going through the receipts I thought it would be cheaper to just get separate eight wing nuts.

I returned the box of wing nuts and did some shopping. I needed ant killer, a 2foot length of 5/16 threaded rod, 5/16th washers and the eight nuts.

The individual wing nuts were bagged up separately at $1.18 each!!! I ended up buying another box of 25! I wondered if it was the box I had just returned! The clearance rack in the back had outdoor rugs at 75% off. I got two 5’ x 7’ rugs for the front porch at $15.00 each marked down from $45.00.

I guess I did my part to help the economy this Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.