Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Burger Chef Reminisces




I awoke to a steady rain and Stumpy’s big old paw on my face telling me he wanted his wet food! Every morning as I start my routine I think of my dad who had to feed our cat Stormy. Dad was always the first one up to get to his job at GM at 6:00. “Jesus, I have to feed that cat before I can even make my coffee!” was dad’s line.

Some things never change….the cats get fed before I can put the water on to boil for my drip coffee pot. Stump and Daggy are sacked out on the bed now with full bellies as I enjoy the last cup of coffee from the first pot of the day. I’ve checked out my news sites and NPR has gone through the morning news loop. Pandora Internet radio is now streaming as I put together this entry. Such is my everyday life….and I love every minute of it!!!

Sunday I had been cleaning out files and trying to make some order of my upstairs. I found the patch I saved from one of my Burger Chef work shirts from 1970. The memories of working at that place: I posted a picture of that patch to my facebook page and got lots of comments.

Let me just elaborate a bit more on working there as my clothes get washed. The sky is clearing so I should have a window of opportunity to have them dry on the line!

The owner of this Burger Chef franchise restaurant “Gordie” was there daily working the back line for the day shift. His wife Teresa worked the front line. No matter where you were stationed somebody was there to boss you around. They were hard bosses, but they instilled fast customer service. Many evenings they would drive by to make sure the front line was working as they should. I’ve been forever spoiled in what to expect from fast service restaurants from working at the “Grease Pit” as we called it.

Even back then we were expected to push the French fries if they were not ordered. In response to drinks, we were always supposed to question if they wanted the LARGE if a size was not specified.

My best friend in High School, Keith was also a “Burger Boy”. He was so smart in math: he could add up the orders in his head. For whatever reason, we were not allowed to use the cash registers to tally the orders. There were pads and pencils to write down and add up the customers orders on the front counter. At this point in history, sales tax was not collected on orders under $1.00. If I was ringing up friends or my “regulars” I would break the orders up and ring them up so no tax would have to be charged.

We were supplied with white shirts bearing the Burger Chef patch and aprons. Working the night shift we were often forced to wear previously worn day shift shirts and aprons if they were not too dirty. We were required to wear black clip on bow ties, and black pants.

I don’t venture into fast food places today so it is hard for me to do a compare and contrast to how we used to function. That grease smell from the deep fat fryer would permeate my clothes and every pore of my body. I kept my black work pants rolled up hidden away in the store room so I would not have to wear them home.

One afternoon I got a frantic phone call from Keith. He had gone into work early and learned Gordie had found my ratty work pants in the store room. Gordie was on the rampage and was going to rip me a new a—hole when I showed up for work.

The last thing I wanted too do was buy clothes for work, but I made a quick trip to my clothing store, Lerch and Daly’s and got the cheapest pair of black pants I could.

Showing up for work I was prepared for Gordies rage. When he cornered me on my old pants, I just said, “Who would wear those dirty old pants? Here are my work pants right here.” (Holding out my new black pants) There was nothing he could say!! Thank you for the warning Keith!!!!

Let me close with a favourite Burger Chef story….Keith and I were preparing to start our shift and were chatting away in the store room. Teresa came in to get some supplies…

Teresa: You two sound like two old ladies…

Jamie to Keith: (as Teresa was leaving) And then….she has even taken to driving her own buggy!!!!

Teresa: ARGGGGGGH!!!!!!

That line I gave to Keith was from the movie “Gone With the Wind” when Atlanta’s dowagers were dissing Scarlett for starting up her lumber business…..Keith and I just have to say “And then…” and we just break up…. 40+ years after the fact….life is good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.