Monday, November 22, 2010

Full Moon Reflections




It never fails…soon as I sit at the computer to write a journal entry, my little Dagney insists upon perching on my lap. This makes typing MOST difficult!

Sunday was a glorious day. We had a docent meeting at 2:00 to work out details of the upcoming house tour for the annual Dicken’s Christmas. These people are so disorganized, but I keep my mouth shut. I don’t need to get involved in organizing another function. I’m content to just be a house guide.

One of the main problems we have with the house tours is this antique Oriental rug. It was repaired and turned out to be extremely rare and valuable. It is silk and supposedly worth $60,000. That means we can’t have tours coming through walking on it. Putting runners over the rug can cause more wear and damage than people just walking on it.

The discussion went on forever. I kind of lost it and said, “Roll the damn rug up and take it out of the room. People on the tours don’t know about the rug and don’t care. They just want to look out the same window Elizabeth Shirley looked out to see the Yankee’s marching to Tuscaloosa to burn the city.”

The room lit up, and exclamations of “We never thought of that!” followed by, “Well that furniture is so rickety it falls apart when you try to move it.” I gave up at that point in time. It was time to head to the boat house.

We had a wonderful practice row. I rowed 5 seat in the “engine room” of the boat. Usually I’m in bow or 2 seat. The leaves are in as much colour as we get here in Alabama. The river was quiet traffic wise.

The days are getting so short. The sun was just about gone when we docked. It was one of the “Tiffany robins egg blue” skies with the clouds lit up a brilliant orange when we lifted the boat out of the water. Headed for home as I turned off Lurleen Wallace Blvd onto 11th st, the huge full moon was rising in the east

Stumpy was waiting in Michelle’s driveway for me. He wanted his wet food treats: He could not get into the house fast enough!! I got his treats and I heated up some leftover soup for supper. I just wanted something fast and easy.

The night was fairly warm; I bundled up a bit and settled into the deck chair with a glass of box wine. I just stared at the moon. My smudge pot lamps were flaming, Stumpy jumped and settled into my lap.

Over the old front door of the Lockport Public Library is the inscription: Books are like an open door to set the spirit free. How prophetic that has turned out to be in my life. Certain book have honestly changed and inspired my life. One such book was: “All but My Life" written by Gerda Klein. In this book she chronicles her early life under the Nazi’s and her survival of the work camps. I quote a passage from page 117 of this book.

“I heard girls toss and turn and here and there weep quietly. The night was starry and beautiful. From my bunk I could see the hills through a window. Slowly the full moon rose. I spoke dreamily to her. I asked her if she saw Papa and Mama. It seemed as if she said yes. In the years to come the moon became my loyal friend. My only friend that was free. Each month I counted the days until she returned, and often when she hid behind clouds I thought that she was avoiding the horror on earth.”

Looking on the bright moon I thought of Gerda and how she survived. That old moon has seen a lot of the follies going here on earth. Stump was purring and stretching out when the phone rang.

I answered that damn phone and it was a robo call for the 2012 election! I don’t like to use profanity but I was royally pissed to be annoyed in this way. If I have to endure election phone calls like I have the past three months for the next two years I’ll drop my land line service.

By the time I settled back in the deck chair, Daggy came down from upstairs and joined me. Stump chased bugs and ducked under the gate to visit Michelle’s back yard. My purring “little cat” calmed me down some and we enjoyed the evening: Daggy, the moon, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.