Monday, May 9, 2011

Tornado Entry: 10



1

Debbi and I walked the neighborhoods Sunday morning. It is so mind boggling to think that just a couple miles from this green oasis there is complete devastation.

I tried to work some on my spreadsheets and paperwork for the upcoming run in September. I need to stay ahead on that duty; there is a lot riding on my performance and organizing.

Speaking of organizing: I threw out the idea of a Sunday afternoon “Row For Normalcy” to the Black Warrior Rowing Club. I’m so proud of my club…it boiled down to Robin taking over the sign ups for the row. At the boat house Melissa took charge of seat assignments, and I did the coxing.

It was a ragtag group that did drills and easy rowing to the bridge and then back to the dock. We had not been on the water in weeks. I made it clear this was to be just a fun row with no pressure. Everyone needed to relax. I’m remiss to call myself a coach, but I did the best I could to coach the rowers. It was so amazing to see them progress as we got into the row.

Docking the boat is the part of coxing I dread. It is a real skill to bring it in. We went real slow and had pretty much a perfect return to the dock.

I’ve gotten used to my phone ringing off the wall since the tornado hit. Just before I was to leave to the boat house I got a call from the Volunteer Coordinators from the city. They uncovered my name and number and wondered if I was still interested in helping. I explained how I went to Samaritan’s Purse on Monday and had worked through Friday and was taking the weekend off. Without warning I broke down crying just thinking back to what I had experienced. This gives me a feeling of what our armed forces are going through.

After our row I stopped by to see Debbi and Greg. They were cooking up turkey burgers, sweet potato fries and corn on the cob. Again, to just relax on the patio with friends and good food was heaven.

My weekend away from the chaos and tragedy has made me appreciate so my mundane, low key life in ways I never imagined. You never fully appreciate what you have until it has been taken away..

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.