Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tornado Entry: 23



Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wednesday began with an early walk of the neighborhoods with Debbie. I did not sleep well the night before. I’m waking up again around midnight and finding it so hard to get back to sleep. The birds are singing now in these early hours. There seems to always be one Mockingbird singing his little heart out anytime during the night.

Stumpy was having a fine time picking up smells from Debbies old car and making himself comfortable in the “rag top”. Oh..... to enjoy a sample of my “old normal life” before heading out..…

Walking into the church Todd cornered me and told me I needed a new shirt. When the relief work first started the volunteer shirts were orange. When it was realized that this was the color of the University of Alabama’s rival school Auburn, the shirt color was changed to the University of Alabama’s school color: crimson red. The early sign-ons could be singled out by their orange shirts. My shirt was faded and worn from weeks of working in the field. I considered that shirt my badge of honour. There was a crew doing filming so I guess they wanted everyone to look the same.

It has been so great to be crewing out with the same guys for the past few days. David the team leader is a master at roofing. I’ve learned so much from him. Our team has really bonded. As always seems to happen in my life, this smooth sailing was not to last long. Todd told me in addition to needing the new shirt; he was going to be putting me on as the team leader of David’s team.

It was emotional when we emptied out David’s truck after our last job. David taught me how to snag the best tools when we crew out in the mornings. I’ve made up a spread sheet to start with.

David is one of the most spiritual people I’ve met in a long time. He is living his life as God tells him. He has been told his work here is done and he must move on. Today, (5/26) we go out on our own. Cory, Mitchell, and Scott will still be crewing out. They have as much or if not more experience than I do. All we can do is our best. We are a team!

Last day of David’s team: David, Scott, Corey, Mitchell, (aka Winston!) and Jamie

1 comment:

  1. They look like a good group of guys. Wish they could come up here and do my roof. I need someone reliable!

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.