Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tornado Entry: 21



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Monday morning started with a cup of nuked up stale coffee and the Huffington Post. Tornado pictures were the featured story. “Why are they still showing Tuscaloosa tornado pictures?” I immediately thought. Then I read the story and realized another community, Joplin, Missouri was destroyed by a killer storm. My heart goes out to the victims.

The volunteers at the church seem to be “petering out”. I’ve heard this stage of Samaritan’s Purse will be finished up around the middle of June. I have about another week left and then I’m on the road.

I am so looking foreword to going to the “Brick Swap” in Spencer, NY. The brick collectors are such a fun group. Been planning my road trip: It looks like I’ll stop at the Motel 6 in Wytheville, which is a good ½ way stop. The Mexican restaurant I like there has moved to a location just down the hill from the motel. Now I can have two beers with supper and not have to worry about driving!

From there I’ll stop at my friend Len’s who is just over the VA/West VA border on I-81. Then the Brick Swap, and a trip to Lockport, NY my hometown for a few days. Then… to Union, IL for the antique phonograph show. Finally my life will be returning to my “normal”.

I crewed out tarping roofs with David. He is the true master, I have learned so much from him. We were working on steep pitched roofs today. Two college boys Corey and Mitchell I’ve worked with in the past and David did the grunt work on top while I helped with the ground and ladder work. The three on the roof had to be harnessed off which slows things down considerably.

Loading up supplies I bumped my shin into a bob-cat skid. God did that hurt. There was a huge “egg” there within seconds. It is always something!

The last house we worked on was on the fringe of the worst damage. A tree branch cut through the roof from the peak to the base. We had to lay out 2/4’s for a grid and then sheets of plywood. The entire repair was then tarped over. It turned out to be a beautiful job.

The lady living in this home is elderly and disabled, needing a walker to get around. What a sweet lady. She offered us her “meals on wheels” supper to eat as she was not hungry!

It stayed fairly overcast with an occasional breeze. But, it was hot, in the 90’s. We all stayed hydrated with Gatorade and water.

My friend Guy was in town. He stopped over at 6:30. We had the best time just talking on the front porch. I feel sorry for people who have never experienced a warm evening rocking on a front porch and having intelligent conversation.

I have no idea what I’ll be doing today. I figure I’m on the down slide now with my volunteer duties. I'm running late this morning so this entry is rather hurried....

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.