Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chapter One: I Am Born




“Chapter One: I am born. To start my life with the beginning of my life I record that I am born.” So read Melanie to the sewing circle ladies as Ashley Wilkes and Frank Kennedy were being shot up by the Yankee’s in the movie “Gone With the Wind’s” Atlanta during reconstruction. So too, I’ll record that I was born on this date 57 years ago: March 26, 1952. Where have the years gone?

Back when my parents were alive my birthday dinner would always be at Garlock’s Steak House in Lockport. My usual entre would be the prime rib…rare, baked potato with sour cream/butter, and salad with the house dressing. I can hear mom telling the story of how when she knew I was on the way, she ironed out dresses for my sisters to wear the next day. Then my great Aunt Teenie was called in to watch the girls when mom went to the hospital that night. I was an early morning baby, I wonder if that has anything to do with me still getting up at 4:00 a.m.????

My day this morning started out with a viscous storm: Pouring down rain, high winds, thunder and lightning. So much for rowing on the river! Even worse news is the regatta planned for this weekend is all changed around. The Black Warrior River is in flood conditions. Poor Alison has worked so hard to bring this all together. Now everything is being moved to Lake Lurleen State Park about 15 miles distant. Tomorrow I’ll be helping Jason and the crew move floating docks, boats and God knows what else from the boat house.

The rain cleared and I walked to the Y. I wanted to burn up LOTS of calories so the steak dinner tonight will not make a difference to my waistline!!

Little by little the day cleared and really turned nice. It was a perfect day to work outside. I turned over lots of dirt and pulled lots of weeds. Daggy was right there with me demanding attention. She thinks the only reason I exist is to give her huggs and loves.

You don’t need a huge farm in the country to get back to nature. There was so much life going on in that back yard of mine today. The hollies have set tiny white flowers. There was a “blanket of bees” covering the hedge. The audible buzzing was reassuring as I played in the dirt. The mockingbirds that have settled into the hedge were singing up a storm until they turned their attention to the pesky squirrels running through. They were too busy dive-bombing the squirrels to pay attention to Daggy and Stump. A yellow butterfly pigged out at the last of the camellias and azaleas.

I love this time of rebirth. Life is good……

The northeast corner of my backyard. My little "secret garden".



The little yellow butterfly getting a snack.



The busy bumble bee pollinating my holly hedge


.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.