Friday, March 6, 2009

TGIF

A few weeks back I received a phone call from an auction house. This was where I had purchased my Regina changer music box back in the spring of 2003. They were calling to inform me of an upcoming auction in warm springs Georgia. Usually they will send out a listing or e-mail the information to me. I was told there was an auction listing at their web site. I checked out the listings. There was nothing listed that would warrant the drive to Georgia for me. It has been six years since I have had contact with this place. They must really be hurting to warrant cold calling for a general estate auction.

Yesterday (Thursday) I received a call from the auction house in Roanoke, AL where I purchased my “Faux Bamboo” dresser back in 2006 about an auction they were having.

I get their listings on line and in the mail. They usually carry good quality stuff. This was the first time they had ever called to invite me to a sale. They were happy I had seen the listing of the sale and were eager for me to leave a couple “phone bids”. This must be evidence of the recession trickling down.

With my future in jeopardy I have gone into miser mode. It is a viscous cycle that feeds upon itself. One thing I would like to have is a new computer tower. My current tower is six years old. I have the RAM maxed out to its full capacity and my programs always running to a bare minimum. It has gotten so slow and rickety. A new tower from Dell would not cost that much…. It is just the thought of spending money I don’t have to. This miserable economy has me worn out…….

I had a great work out at the Y Thursday. I ended up erging nearly an hour on the Concept II Rower. The coach of the Woman’s Rowing team at the University was giving me tips on how to improve my technique. Hopefully we will row this afternoon. Jason is supposed to be coaching us. I’m hoping that some of the collegiate guys will fill in as they have in the past. Those kids are so funny and I can pick up so much technique from watching them. It is a break for them to row with us “old timers”! But on the other hand, it makes me feel good to be able to keep up with them. (For a little while at least!)

The sun finally broke through in the afternoon allowing me to work in the yard raking and pulling up weeds. My neighbors were out in force which meant visiting, and cars beeping as they passed. Afternoons like that really make me feel a part of the community.

Speaking of community, I need to get my butt in gear. I’ll get out my old 10 speed to make a quick trip to the Post Office, Bank and finally the Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.