Sunday, March 8, 2009

Working on the Dock

This boy is so tore up! Saturday morning I got to the boathouse right around 8:15. I brought down a bunch of extra tools. The collegiate rowers were playing basketball and tossing a football around waiting for things to get going.

I was looking at the plans for the new dock with Jason and saw where a lot of clamps would be needed. I have enough clamps back home for what we will need. We worked up a list of needed tools and I made a quick trip back to my house to load up with required tools.

Things get jumping when I return and we jump into framing up the new dock. The hardest part for me was “scabbing” the two ten footers together on each side. The plates bolted on each side needed the holes lined up perfectly. This was not an easy task to drill a true hole through 3” of pressure treated wood freehand. I was able to get that task finished up without too much aggravation.

Framing up the dock;


The day warmed up beautifully; this was the hottest day of the year so far. The collegiate boys peeled off their shirts to soak up the sun. We needed to get some larger lag bolts for this scabbed section of dock. I made the trip to the hardware store that was close by. When I returned and walked back to the dock assembly I saw some of these crazy boys running up the boat ramp from a jump into the river! Luna the dog had joined them! God, to have that youth, energy and testosterone again!!!

We had to pull out the old section of dock. It was a very involved and heavy thing to move. It ended up getting “strong armed” by every available body to its final resting place.

I had to head out at 5:30 to head to Gary's for dinner. I drove directly to his house. I did a quick clean up to get the worst of the Black Warrior River dirt off me. I chugged down three glasses of water to get hydrated before having a beer. Em had brought some Panera bread and some great cheese. I collapsed onto the sofa and nursed a beer from an iced mug.

Paul was in rare form, he makes me laugh so. He was really ribbing on Gary. Two of his memorable evening quotes were: “Dinner at Gary’s used to mean wine, but all we have tonight are empty glasses!” Gary had made up this casserole with black eyed peas and turkey sausage and I don’t know what else. Paul’s second quote was: “Well Gary must be on hard times now; there is no meat on the table like there used to be!” We are all pretty much “sister friends” so no offence was taken. It was all in fun.

I was the first to leave; I was so exhausted from working outside all day in that fresh air and sunshine. The cats had been cooped up in the house, so I had to turn them loose soon as I got home. I tried to relax in the backyard, but the bed was calling me: I was so tired. The kids down the street had friends over. Their voices carry so, but so long as the stereo is not blaring, I don’t complain. My old fan was started up in the window to make white noise and I went to sleep wearing my ear plugs.

I never reset my clocks so when the alarm went off I was already an hour behind. The first order of business was to make my coffee and let the cats out. It promises to be another stellar day. I luxuriated in a steaming hot outside shower. There is no better way to start the day than to witness the sunrise from a hot shower while the mocking birds are singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.