Sunday, March 22, 2009

Warming Temperatures

The weather is warming up. The afternoon temperatures are venturing into the low 70° range. I just started up the box fan in the window to circulate some of that warm outside air into my house. The sweet olive I planted outside the window is finally putting out blossoms. That wonderful aroma is now permeating the bedroom.

I have been trying to get work done in the back yard. Stump tries to help, but he needs loves and rubs. I can’t deny that cat anything! Gardens and flower beds are pretty transient…I’m contemplating some major changes in the bed lay-outs.


Stumpy luxuriating in the warm dirt and sunshine.


Another project is to design the final display spot for my Holly Fire Hydrant. I want to build up a raised area consisting of some of my Lockport bricks so it will feel "at home”! I need to have it anchored so it will not get stolen. I really doubt that would happen, but you can’t be too careful. There are not a lot of Holly Hydrants on the market!

Taking a reading break with my book late in the afternoon yesterday on my front porch I got into a conversation with a University Police Officer who was “walking the beat” in front of my house. The University is patrolling the “Fringe areas” of the school on a daily basis. I appreciate the presence of authority as it keeps the kids in check as to wild parties etc. I was telling him about my experience with the panhandler the other day. He knew exactly who it was. The guy lives about six blocks away in some nasty apartments! That “cab fare” line is a bunch of crap! LOL!!

I was planning on getting some grocery shopping done Saturday. Once I got working on projects I never left the house. That shopping did not happen till early this afternoon. Publix had a good sale. Steaks were still on special so I picked up a beauty for my supper when I get off the river later. I still have smashed potatoes left over from the other night to reheat. The Florida strawberries looked and smelled great: a two pound box came home with me. They are sliced up and sugared in the ice box. There will be good eating tonight!

I was just about to post this entry when Anne and Robin called. I thought we were meeting at four. They were all at the boat house at 3:30!!! It was a fast trip over the river. The boat was just getting set up as I arrived. I was in the bow seat. Robin did an excellent job coxing. The transitions went pretty well. It was a wonderful way to round out the afternoon. I knew it was to be a laid back row so I brought along my camera. Ann’s seat went off the track so we had some down time mid-way back to the dock to get things back in order. It was long enough for the Collegiate Men’s team to overtake us.

Getting the boat ready at the dock:

View from the river, the gazebo at River Road Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Retired auto worker who can now spend too much time restoring his 1922 Bungalow Home. I'm involved in a number of varied activities from collecting bricks to rowing with a masters rowing group. This blog is to share different aspects of my life on my Facebook page. I've kept an on-line journal for eight years.